Cupcakes and Raspberry Buttercream

Last time I baked lemon filled cupcakes I wished I had made raspberry buttercream to frost them with. This weekend I had the opportunity to make that wish come true :)

I had an order to make 5 dozen assorted cupcakes this weekend. One of the flavors was lemon filled with raspberry buttercream.

I started with basic vanilla cupcakes and this time to fill the cupcakes I used the cone method. What is the cone method you ask? Well........

basically you cut a cone shaped piece of the cupcake out so you can fill it with filling. For these cupcakes I used lemon curd. So tart and refreshing! Once the cupcakes are filled you place the piece of cake you cut out back onto the cupcake.







Now for the frosting I had a moment of failure. I wanted to use raspberry preserves in the frosting.... however, when I bought the preserves I didn't buy seedless like I meant to. I didn't want to have a million raspberry seeds in my frosting so I went for plan B and used the raspberry extract I had and a little bit of red food coloring.



The taste of the frosting was good.... but I know with raspberry preserve it would have been better! Hopefully next time I buy the right thing at the grocery store :)

In addition to my lemon cupcakes I had some extra chocolate cupcakes so I decided to top those off with the raspberry as well!







My house was full of cupcakes this weekend! It was hard not to eat them all! hahaha
I hope everyone has a great week!

Recipe:
Raspberry Buttercream Frosting

1 Cup of softened butter
1 Cup Vegetable shortening
1 tsp vanilla
5 tbsp water
2lbs confectionery sugar
Raspberry extract (to taste)
Red food coloring (optional)

Directions:
Combine butter, shortening, vanilla and water until smooth. Add in confectionery sugar and mix until smooth. Scrape down sides at least once to incorporate all ingredients. Add raspberry extract 1 tsp at a time to get desired flavor. (you can add more water or sugar to get desired consistency) Add and stir in 2-3 drops of food coloring to get pinkish red raspberry color.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
April 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM

How much frosting does it make?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...