Sugar Cookies

My mom and I are spending some quality time with my nieces this week over school vacation. I decided I would love to bake with my nieces and sugar cookies seemed like a fun thing!

We are hanging at my mother's house today and I have to say I don't like baking anywhere but my own kitchen anymore! My mom only has a hand mixer and it has made me appreciate my Kitchen-aid so much! HA!

Now... on to the cookies!
We gathered the ingredients...



If you know anything about 7 year olds you would obviously know that they want to do everything themselves. This could have gotten out of control but luckily my nieces listen very well.



We mixed everything together and then popped it in the fridge to chill the dough for an hour.
Next step was to roll out the dough and cut shapes. I know it is past valentines day but the only cookie cutters my mom had were heart shaped.

So we cut all different sized hearts....






These cookies baked up pretty quickly and once they were cooled me moved onto decorating!
The icing is made of confectionery sugar and milk. I colored one batch red and one batch pink.

If I was decorating these at home I would use piping bags to decorate and also have a different consistency icings.. but for some plain old fun in the kitchen medium consistency icing and a couple of spoons worked just fine!








The girls had a blast decorating and the cookies came out very cute! I also must say they tasted really great! I love sugar cookies and this was one of the better recipes I have come across.

Enjoy!


Recipe

* 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
* 2 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 5 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
February 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM

The girls looked like they had a blast! YUMMY!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...