Flag Cake

When I was browsing my favorite blogs I came across this awesome cake on Glorious Treats

Her tutorial is much better then mine will be but either way if you have the chance you should definitely try and bake this cake!

So I started out baking all the cakes I would need..

2 8inch red cakes
1 8inch white cake
1 8inch blue cake

Now from those cakes, I cut the 2 red cakes into layers and the white cake into layers.
Then from one white layer and one red layer I cut out a 4 inch circle.

The blue layer should stay thick... and a 4inch circle should be removed from layer.

These are all my cakes waiting to be stacked...




From all the original cakes I had one full red layers left and the cut out red and white layers. I put them into a ziploc bag and froze the leftover cake for cake balls at a later date!

Now onto stacking... start with a red layer, then white, then red, then blue. In the cut out circle in the blue layer stack the 4inch white layer then the 4 inch red layer. There should be a thin coat of frosting between each layer.

At the end of stacking the cake should look something like this...




To frost this cake I wanted something light and summery. I decided on a whipped cream frosting. It was super delicious.



I kept the outside decorations simple since the real suprise would be when I cut into the cake. I brought this cake to a July 4th BBQ and it was a huge hit! I wish the colors in the layers came out brighter... hopefully next time!







Either way this cake was a huge success and the flag inside was an awesome surprise!

I hope everyone has an awesome 4th of July!

Recipe:
Whipped Cream Frosting

1 8oz package of cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
1 pint of heavy whipping cream

Directions:
Whip cream cheese, white sugar, vanilla, & salt until smooth. Slowly add in heavy whipping cream while continuously beating until firm peaks form. Add in 1 cup of confectionery sugar and whip for 15 seconds.

1 comments:

goodnight said...
August 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I love all the different layers you made on your flag cake.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...